Century High School’s Opening Knights Drama Club will be presenting a “Sensory Friendly Performance” for all CCPS LFI and Autism Programs during the school day on Friday, April 13th from 9am to 11am, free of charge.
What is a “Sensory Friendly Performance”?
Our goal is to increase access and inclusion for our community’s children and families affected by Autism Spectrum Disorders and other sensory, social, and cognitive disabilities. We want to provide a supportive and welcoming environment for children and families. This Sensory Friendly performance will include:
- Reduction of loud or jarring sounds including asking the audience to refrain from clapping and instead show their support by using “sign language” applause.
- Reductions in flashing or strobe lights
- Modification of the house lights during the performance. The House Lights will remain on dimly throughout the show
- Accommodated house rules: audience members are free to talk or move during the show
- Extra staff and volunteer support.
- Designated “Quiet Room” and “Take a Break Space”
- Space throughout the theater for standing and movement
- Limited crowds
Audience members are welcome to bring their own manipulatives, seat cushions, comfort objects, and extra support items to the show. Ear plugs will be available as well.
Attendance at this performance is by RSVP only. Please RSVP by Friday, April 6th. Please contact your school’s special education department to inquire about attending. Please email Mr. Hewitt at firstname.lastname@example.org or Janice Yetter at JJYett@comcast.net with questions, concerns, or for more information.